Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Songwriting-SOL #25

Some of you guys might know that songwriting is actually something that I REALLY love to do. I love music, and it's basically just storytelling in a song. I can make the song sound like anything I want to, and reflect what I feel. I also want to compile a bunch of my songs and send them out to a record label in the form of a demo CD, which would be super cool. I just have to find out a way to do this, which is kinda hard, because it's not like I can get great quality recording equipment anywhere, which I can't, but if I get an OK mic-attaching mic, which I just bought myself (Woohoo!) I can attach it to a computer and edit it on there. Then I just have to do this to a couple, burn it to a CD, and go around giving it to everyone in the whole entire world that will listen to me. I try to write a song at least once a week, but that doesn't always work out. But I try, because it's cool to see me get better and I want to, as well as I've spent SO much time on it that I can't just give up now (not that I'd want to). It's also cool to have something to do in my head when I'm bored, figuring out melodies and harmonies and chords with different pitches in my head, as well as lyrics. On the Solo on the fall trip I wrote like 10 songs and wrote down the lyrics, but then promptly forgot the tunes to all of them. Oh well. They weren't very good anyways and I probably just helped me get better :).

There are a couple of ways to write a song, the first one being the melody first, which a lot of people normally do (including me!). This involves creating the melody and main idea of the song first, and then fitting lyrics and chords to it. The other two ways are chords first, where you put down a chord pattern or background first and then put on a melody corresponding to the lyrics, and then the lyrics-first method, where you can just write the lyrics first. I just normally write the melody first, because I think that it allows me the most artistic freedom with the song and it just works better for me. I also like writing lyrics first, but it's more of a challenge and less fun. I don't know where I was going with this, but I hope you guys read it. I was going to write a song for this but I didn't have time. I'll tell you how the demo goes. :)

2 comments:

  1. This is a great slice. I have tried song writing myself on several occasion. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting concept for a slice, I like how you explained your process in such detail!

    ReplyDelete