Saturday, March 7, 2015

Elitches SOL 3/7/15 (#7)

Do you ever get that feeling where you are about to take a leap of faith, or fall into nothingness, but aren't quite sure what will happen afterwards. It could be about anything, a big decision, a risk, etc. But at that moment, I was literally about to fall into nothingness and take a leap of faith, because I was at the top of the 220 foot Tower of Doom at Elitches' Gardens. The nice thing about being up here was that I could see for miles and miles, through downtown, all the way out to DIA. The wind was whipping at my hair and it was just really nice in general. I looked over at my friend, who looked like she was enjoying herself reasonably well too. I looked around, wondering how long they were going to keep us here. What if there was a glitch? What if the brakes had stopped working and we were just going to fall all the way too the bottom and punch a hole through the concrete, not stopping until we were at the bottom of a hole, probably dead and engulfed in a crowd of dust? Or what about the fact that we might end up like the girl in Kentucky, with both of our legs sliced off at the ankles? I'm not really nervous, though. I love roller coasters, and I've learned to trust (mostly) that we'll arrive safely at the bottom. That doesn't stop me from being terrified sometimes, but what else is the point of the roller coaster? The operator chose that time to let us fall and my stomach rose up into my throat as I screamed with happiness and adrenaline. I stepped off with a huge grin on my face. By the end of the ride a few seconds later, I knew this-the feeling of the fall was 1000 times over worth the anticipation.

6 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of roller coasters because of how you explained it. I always feel like i'm going to fall to my death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. That sounds super fun. I totally felt like I was there. Cool slice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never done those actually. Never been to elitches. I want too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this ride!! Great description :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am like, "OMG my stomach is going to fall out!" But I don't scream. Ever. I love rides like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really roller coasters. I totally felt like I was in your slice... Nice :P

    ReplyDelete