Friday, March 14, 2014

Yesterday was opening night

Yesterday was opening night. Before I start listing all of the things that went wrong, let's just say that overall it was awesome. Also you guys are supposed to think that everything was right, so I can't talk about everything that went wrong. So let's just say that overall it was awesome.
One of the many things I love about performing is the nerves that you get before it. Actually, I don't really get nervous before performing anymore, but a little bit, sort of the walking-on-the-edge feeling, which I guess I like. One of the most nerve-wracking things that happened to me in the play last night is that my boa scarf got tangled in a string, literally as the band was playing the opening notes and I had to go onstage, I realized that it wouldn't move and ditched it. That did not get the play off to a very good start, but none of you guys probably noticed anyways and I tried to make up for it. Another thing was cutting open my leg backstage; ok, that makes it sound worse than it actually was, but I was worried that it would show up onstage. But I guess that is also one of the things that I love about performing, that you are live and anything can happen that you have to deal with on the spot. During the play last night, there was a lot of the-audience-doesn't-know-the-play-so-no-one-will-notice-moments, but it all worked out in the end. Since backstage is dark and no one is supposed to hear or see you, it's basically like stuffing around 15 actors and even more stagecraft in a tiny dark room, with people taking huge pieces of wood and cardboard around and huge funky-shaped costumes, and trying to make your way around without talking. It's kind of like those team building exercises that teachers make you do, just people tend to get mad at each other instead. Although spending so much time with each-other can really get on your nerves, I've also made so many friends in this whole experience, and become better friends with so many people. One of the great things that the AS play has done is that when the show starts, we all support each other, and suddenly become each other's friends for the sake of the show even and probably will be that way for a long time, especially the people I spend a lot of time onstage with. Overall, even though it won't be the same as opening night, which is my favorite, I'm so excited that I get to perform the play three more times, and each will be unique in its own little ways, because that's just how performing works.

2 comments:

  1. It was awesome, nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I loved the play last night! You were amazing. I remember from my own experiences in plays/musicals how you just deal with things that go wrong and it seems to always turn out well in the end. And I'm so glad you've become better friends with people. Being in a show together seems to bond people rather well.

    ReplyDelete