Sunday, March 30, 2014

Daydreaming: Hunger games

Sometimes, I get bored. This doesn't happen very often, but sometimes I want to focus on anything besides what I'm doing right now. I have a #1 daydream, which I think about 3/4 times, but sometimes I stare down at my desk and let my mind wander away...
WELCOME TO THE 75TH HUNGER GAMES!!! The announcers voice booms over the loudspeakers. I stand on a rock, overlooking a big pool in front of us of cold looking water. Behind me, steep craggy mountains rise into a glacier far above me. The wind howls around me, blowing big tufts of my hair into my face. I look around for my male district counterpart, and meet his blue eyes. Or brown. or green. or hazel. One time it was even purple. It depends.
The black and red and green jumpsuit I am wearing feels rubbery. I wonder why...Then I see a lump of mud in the middle of the icy cold looking lake. Flashes of metal appear through the ripples of the lake. The cornucopia is underwater. Just what I wanted! The gong sounds, and without thinking I dive in to the lake. The murky icy cold water feels like it's ripping off my skin. I kick to the surface with as much intensity as I can muster and dig in my arms to try to grab as much water and pull it with me as I can. I get there with my heart racing before anybody else, and dive down. I make quick calculations in my head; I have to take enough so that I can survive, but not enough so that I can't swim. So I grab a blue-green pack with reflective coating quickly, a pair of goggles which I strap on quickly and try to decide between long knife and a nice-looking bow...no, I can't swim with the bow. Dark shadows start to approach me from above, and then get closer until I can almost see some ashy blond hair and the blue eyes of the nearest approaching figure, and the dark hair of the big guy behind him. I grab the knife, flip, and push off, angling the pack on my shoulder towards the people with weapons in case one was good enough to hit me with a weapon underwater. My lungs burn, but I muddy dark bottom of the lake, which provides more protection. Just when I think that I can't stand it anymore, I come to the edge of the lake, and push up and clamber out of the lake, gasping for air, I resling the pack over my should as an arrow narrowly missed my head, going over me and skidding into the lake. I run off into the trees and mountains. I need to find a way to get warm...
"Sarah? C'mon?" A voice says. A group of my friends stands by the door. They look at me very impatiently and obnoxiously at the same time. I laugh. "Coming", I say, gather up my stuff, and follow them out the door to whatever I happen to have next.

2 comments:

  1. Thats really cool. I would die in the hunger games. Would you win in you day dreams?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this slice. You captured day-dreaming perfectly, and made up a really cool Hunger Games. I think about the Hunger Games a lot, too.

    ReplyDelete