Sunday, March 2, 2014

Slice of Life 2/31/Walking to Piano

"You need a coat! It's cold outside." My mom calls to me as I open the door, trying to slip out, of course, without my coat. "OK," I call back and grab the first coat that I see, trying not to argue with her in order not to be late. Dr. Vertenstein would be mad. I sling my bag full of piano books over my shoulder and step out into the cool breeze. I start walking, snow blowing across the yard at my feet. Wow, I guess my mom was right about one thing. It's cold. A neighbor across the street is shoveling his yard. I really don't want to talk to him; he's the obnoxious one who always asks me "is that a new hoodie" or something like that. I pulls out my phone and pretend to text somebody until I reach the end of the block to avoid talking. I reach the end of the second block and call my mom to tell her that I've arrived safely, so I don't get kidnapped or whatever. I call her slightly early like always so my 87 year old Romanian piano teacher, Dr. Vertenstien, doesn't catch me on the phone outside of her house and yell at me and tell me I shouldn't be calling people, just focusing on piano. I haven't tried to explain to her that my mom says it's for safety. She wouldn't listen. I ring the doorbell and try to remember what I was practicing yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. This post is a great example of a slice of life! The innocuous walk from home to a piano lesson and all the potential pitfalls from door to door. Your personality shows up strongly in your writing and it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete