Saturday, March 1, 2014

Intro to me/Classroom Slice of Life #1 of 31/Blizzard


Hi- I'm Sarah:). I'm 13 and in 7th grade. I love music and play piano, guitar, sing, and write songs. I also like animals, and have a lot of them, including a dog, two cats, some fish, and a younger brother. I really don't know what else-I guess I play basketball, soccer, and swim on a swim team. Oh and, I'm definitely the #1 The Voice fan in the history of ever.


I sit on the chairlift, shivering. The wind whips in my face and snowflakes blow across the front of the chair, not like I could see them. So, it's blizzarding.  For all y'all who have never been in this situation before, blizzards are kind of a problem when you're sitting on a chairlift at the top of a mountain, about halfway through the chairlift ride.
I don't even know how it happened. It was perfectly clear and sunny one moment, with great views and blue sky and all of that stuff, then it clouded over about five minutes ago and now I'm freezing my butt off.
"Sarah? Are you still there?" Emily yells into the wind as it howls by us, and dances through the cold metal bars of the chairlift. "Yeah", I say. It's not like I had jumped off or anything, but we also can barely see our hands in front of us. Suddenly the dark shady form of the top of the chairlift rises up in front of us, fast. "Raise the bar up!!!" Mabel screeches from the other side of the chairlift. We all grab the bars and pull, barely making it off. We all collapse over giggling into the snow and watch as the boys in our ski group and our ski instructor basically do the same thing, basically falling over each other to get out of the chair. I'm really glad I didn't bring my iPod or phone today because it would be frozen solid.
So this is the way it works, skiing in colorado, I guess. Some of the time it's totally pretty, and sunny, and warm, and the snow is always great. And then sometimes it gets so cold you think that your hands are going to seriously freeze off. Huh.

3 comments:

  1. "Emily yells into the wind as it howls by us, and dances through the cold metal bars of the chairlift." I love this line! You describe the chilliness of a cold ride well with craziness of unloading in low visibility! Nice slice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few weekends ago, I went skiing with a friend and, at the top of a ski lift, it got really windy. It was kind of scary because we couldn't see any one and the wind was engulfing everything in snow. It kind of was like a horror film and we were the victims that fell out of the ski lift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been on a ski lift because I have never been skiing but it sounds like it sucks

    ReplyDelete