Sunday, November 30, 2014

Cards and Thanksgiving

The room is deathly silent, as silent as it has been all night, as my brother and I, and our two friends pick up our cards. We study them, trying to make something out of the numbers and symbols laid out on the flat paper slips. Uly flips over the four cards laid out on the table, flips them over, and the game begins. My vision narrows to the cards in front of me as I quickly trade cards and reflexively catch the ones coming at me. I flip the final one down in front of me, and throw it at my brother, feeling the thrill of victory, accidentally throwing it a little bit off target...
"SARAH!!! STOP THAT!!!" My mom pulls a soggy card out of her mashed potatoes and daintily puts it on the floor, where it is taken and licked off by my dog, Boo. "Oh, Boo..." my mom splutters. Jack kicks me under the table silently cracking up, and I grin sheepishly. "Sorry, Mom", I say, tucking back into my turkey, gravy, and cranberry sauce. I love Thanksgiving. I know tomorrow I will feel disgusting, and probably not eat for days I'm so full, but right now I really don't care. I stuff myself with the bread and butter, turkey in gravy, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes/marshmallows, stuffing, brussel sprouts, and potatoes in front of me. Just as I sit back, finished, I hear a call from the kitchen. "Guys! Dessert time!"

1 comment: