Monday, November 10, 2014

Love Letters to the Dead

This week I read Love Letters to the Dead  by Ava Dellaira. This book is about a 15 year old girl named Laurel who just started high school. Her sister May has been dead for almost one year, and her mom left for California without her after suddenly getting divorced. Laurel did not want to go to the same high school that May went to, so she doesn't know anybody, and hides in the corner during lunch. Until she gets her first assignment; to write a letter, about anything, to someone who's dead. Laurel chooses Kurt Cobain; he was May's favorite singer, and writes to him, but  decides that the letter is too personal to turn in to get credit on the assignment. Soon, Laurel has many letters to different people including Amelia Earhart, Amy Winehouse, Janis Joplin, E.E. Cummings, and more. It basically documents her life in high school, making friends, having a crush, and dealing with her dysfunctional family and other things too. She also has to get over her guilt for her sister's death, which she thinks is her fault, and some pretty terrible things that happened to her as a younger teenager that she had blocked out of her mind. This book was really good, even if I found it kind of depressing sometimes (ok, all the time). You really cared about the main character, and all of her friends/other people that she cared about. My favorite character was probably Laurel, because she never got discouraged and you really could connect with and and care about and root for her to do well. My other favorite character was probably Sky; but I can't tell you who he is or why without giving stuff away! You also found yourself wondering what you would do in her situations. This book is not like a normal "white girl book", I thought that it was really different, cool, and interesting. Overall, this is a really good realistic fiction book with some mature content, and I would recommend it to a lot of people in our class, if you feel like reading a book with some mature content. I would probably recommend it to both boys and girls too.
Next books I want to read:
Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock
Dash and Lily's book of dares
Unbroken
Kindred (book group)

3 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting. I may decide to read it. Your review is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a really good book, I think that is is kind of similar to The Summer of Letting Go, so if you haven't read that book, I would recommend that for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I will read that book sometime. ;P

    ReplyDelete