Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Unbroken

This week I read Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. This book (non-fiction) is about a boy growing up near L.A. named Louie Zamperini. He is always the troublemaker of his family, until his older brother introduces him to running. He then trains to become an Olympian, running in the Berlin Olympics, but is not able to get a medal. Before he can try again, WWII breaks out, the Olympics get canceled, and Louie gets drafted. After crashing in the Pacific Ocean with his crewmates on his plane, he has to survive, and eventually gets captured by the Japanese. He gets bounced around Japan, going through different horrors, and eventually getting released at the end of the war. Finally, it tells of his life after the war. This book was really good. I normally don't read non-fiction-but the story was so amazing and the writing was so interesting that it felt like fiction. The plot was amazing; it was unbelievable that that actually happened. Finally, the characters were amazing. I think that I would probably recommend this book to seventh graders and up- the characters, especially Louie Zamperini, go through some pretty horrible things, especially after the war, on the raft, and during Japanese Prisoner of War Camp, and it really depends on if you feel like you are up to reading it. Overall this book was amazing.

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with everything that you've said in this post and I think that everybody in this class should read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was very descriptive. I liked how you did that. Where is your TBR list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My TBR list is a separate post on my blog if you want to read it. It's just called "My TBR List".

      Delete
  3. I haven't read this book, but I loved Seabiscuit, so maybe I should try it.

    ReplyDelete