Wednesday, November 5, 2014

First SOL:

"Look, I'm tired of texting. We should go talk at Robinson Park". My phone buzzes annoyingly as I get this text. I look out the already dark window. I really want to go to the park, I've been texting with a friend for the past couple of hours and would love to meet up and talk to them face to face. But it's dark. My mom's not a home, but she would flip. I stare out the window again, hoping to catch some sort of light source, but instead I just see my mirrored reflection as the sun's last rays disappear, leaving us in blackness, if there were any in the first place. I stare at my reflection a moment longer, noticing the shorts and short sleeved shirt that would also present a problem if I was to ride my bike out in the snow. "Sarah?" my phone chimes annoyingly. "You still there?" "Sry", I text back. "One Second". I look at the glowing digital clock, standing out bright blue against the blackness. 6:35. My mom had already been gone over an hour, which means that she would be coming back soon. But I really wanted to go...maybe I'd have enough time. I would ride quickly, but what if my mom did come back? Or what if my dad decided to come home from work early? I imagined the scene of freak that would happen if my family came home in the darkness, opened the door, switched on the warm lights, called my name- and found out that I wasn't there.
But I'm old enough to ride a bike a couple of blocks. Even when it's nighttime, pitch black and snowy. I'm responsible enough. My mom and dad never got that, I think in my minds I'm still trapped in the body and mind of a little kid, the one that they would worry about walking a block by themselves in the middle of the day, never the less ride there bike to the park when it's dark out. And maybe if I said that it was my friends idea- no, I quickly pushed that thought out of my mind. I was going, and I guess that I would just hope that they didn't come home. They can't stop me from seeing my friends. "Coming," I text, and am rewarded by a series of smiley faces :) :) :). Switching off the lights, I slam the door to the garage, put on my helmet, grab my bike, and go to open the doors- and they open by themselves. Shocked, I am greeted with the bright headlights of a car, and my dad's face, not noticing my thankfully, smiling from the chance to come home from work earlier. Sigh. I take off my helmet, text my friend, and quickly retreat into the house. Maybe next time.
Idk what pic to do so I just did a picture of a bike :)

8 comments:

  1. That was good Sarah. Good voice in the slice. 😋

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know, you will always be a little girl to your parents. I still am :) This SOL is great because it is such a real moment and written with clarity and honesty. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The things that parents (and teachers) don't 'know' about. The inner monologue is wonderfully written and kept me reading anxiously, rooting for you and hoping you were not caught. Great slice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your description and the whole thing in general!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you chose to describe how you went back and fourth with your decision, nice slice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the descriptive words. I'm surprised you remember what you texted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a really good slice of life. When I am stuck am actually going to come back to this for inspiration. It was really descriptive and really really well written!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your writing is really good. The descriptions are super cool and seemingly accurate.

    ReplyDelete