Thursday, April 24, 2014

Endangered

This week I read Endangered by Eliot Schrefer. This book is about a girl named Sophie, from the Congo, who every summer visits her mom's Bonobo (they're a type of gorilla) sanctuary in the Congo. She isn't very happy to be there, until she finds a Bonobo that she names Otto. With Otto, Sophie manages to survive living with her mom for a while, until the Congo splits into a civil-war -type-thing, and her sanctuary gets attacked and torn apart. Sophie has to learn how to survive in the Congo, and has to decide if she will risk her life and possibly give it up for Otto, as well as who to trust. First of all, I have to say that this book is amazing. Second, since it was good I'm able to be picky about some of it, basically. One thing that REALLY bothered me about the book was that the emotions of the characters were all screwed up. I felt like some of the most exciting/traumatic/sad scenes were the ones the characters cared about the least. You really get to know Sophie at the beginning, but I feel like in the most climatic scenes in the book, she kind of got shut down. It made by care about the plotline, the book, and the characters less. One great thing about this book (well, in perspective) is that you actually learned something while reading it, about the Congo, Bonobos, Whatever. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to a lot of people. It's about 350 pages, and not too hard to read. It might be a good book to bring on the overnight.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a semi interesting book, so I'll keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In retrospect, I agree with pretty much everything said in this review. I personally enjoyed this book quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks pretty good and it is already on my TBR list. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everything you said. I have read it. You should read the other one called Threatened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THat sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete