Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Grandmaster

This week I read Grandmaster by David Klass. This book was about a freshman in high school, named Daniel Pratzer, who decides to join the chess team, although he's not great at it at all. Daniel is about the most normal kid in the world, he's basically ignored at school, his parents are the most boring people ever, and his sister is just being a normal girl in middle school. When two of the most popular and good chess players at his school ask him to come to a father/son competition, he wonders why, considering he's so unpopular, such a bad player, and as far as he knows his dad has never picked up a chess piece in his life. He then finds out that his dad used to be a Grandmaster, the highest ranking a player can be. Throughout the tournament, Daniel tries to figure out why his father quit chess, why he hid it from his family, and learns more about himself too. This was a really good book. I SUCK at chess, and I still really enjoyed it; I might have gotten some of the references more if I did like chess, but you don't have to know a lot about it in order to read this book. Overall, it was really good and not a hard read, it took me less than a day to read the whole thing, partly because I like it so much. Overall, I would recommend this book to a lot of people; it was great.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah I read this and thought it was a really good book as well. I would like to say one thing though. The kids name is Daniel Patzer. Pratzer is his nickname. It means inexperienced chess player. But I'm stupid for pointing that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah that's cool that you pointed that out. One thing; I think it's the other way around; Pratzer is his last name and Patzer is an inexperienced chess player. But I'm even more of an idiot for pointing that out.

      Delete
  2. I really want to read that book. It sounds really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with pretty much everything said here. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete