Monday, January 5, 2015

Sorta Like a RockStar

Over break I read Sorta Like a Rockstar  by Matthew Quick. This book was about an eighth grade girl named Amber who lives alone with her mom and her dog, after being kicked out of her mom's boyfriend's last house (which Amber blames on herself) they have taken to living on a bus, homeless. Her mom turns into an alcoholic and secretly a drug addict, and Amber's only chance to be normal is when she goes over to her friend Ricky's house, who is wealthy and has a successful mother who Amber basically idolizes. Over the course of the book, Amber  saves her favorite teacher from being fired, teaches a group of Korean People english, visits old people in a retirement home, and accidentally stumbles across a strange, traumatized, Haiku Writing War veteran who actually becomes one of her best friends. Then a tragedy happens and her whole entire life is changed.
This book was actually REALLY GOOD. It had some mature topics, but really not that bad and the characters were great. I would call this book realistic fiction, and would also recommend it to almost everyone in the class.
Books that I want to read:
If I Stay
Looking For Alaska
Rethinking Normal
Book that I got as a present:
I got this book as a present and...
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

4 comments:

  1. I really want to read that book now.. How long is it? Is it a quick read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was long. It sounds good, I may look at it if I need a recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your review and I might want to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a good book. It seems a little but all over the place. Do you think i should read it? Suggestions anyone?

    ReplyDelete