Friday, January 23, 2015

Nuggets Game

The smell of Popcorn and Hot Dogs drift around the inclosed stadium as Selah and I settle down in our seats, looking down at the brightly light-up basketball court in the middle of the gigantic venue. My mom comes back too, quickly, from getting food from ourselves and we excitedly glance at our watches/phones to see when the game is going to start. Just as I reach for my iPod, the lights go black and the crowd screams as the big screen in front of me introduces our players loudly, drawing my eyes up away from the court and towards it. Our center, a tall white guy from some foreign country tips off into one of the hands of our players, who dribbles down, outside the three point, launches the ball in the air, and scores. Yes! Selah, my mom, and I give each other high fives as I notice out of the corner of my eye an elderly woman in an usher's vest walk down the aisle, high fiving people. She makes her way over to us. "3 points" she says. My mom and I look at each other. Is she going to do this every single time we score? We wonder. From then on, every 3 point shot, we see the soon-to-be familiar figure hobbling down the aisle. It gets annoying fast, but after a while, Selah and I start getting used to it, and even having fun with it. We leave the stadium convinced that we had a good time, even if we had to give high-fives to an annoying lady every single time we got a 3-point-shot.

5 comments: