Thursday, January 15, 2015

Samaria Gorge

We got dropped off at about midnight. I stood in the sticky grass, watching the dew collect on my brand-new sneakers, which seemed too bright for the gray, gravely, dirt the dullness of the early morning. The bus dropped us off and sped down the dirt road, leaving a cloud of dust behind it. The width of Greece away from our goal, we were left alone with only a group of determined tourists. Without further ado, we set off on the steep trail.
If you were wondering what's going on, my family and I were determined to walk all the way across the country of Greece, on a trail called Samaria Gorge. This trip would be 11 miles long, but much more difficult then it seems because of the constant ups and downs and changes of weather. One especially cool thing is that we had the chance too, on the other side, swim in the Bolivian Sea on the closest point to Africa in Europe. So we set off down the steep slippery slope, sliding down rocks and pebbles, in the middle of the night.
6 hours later, my Mom, Dad, Brother and I came down the final hill approaching our destination. It was hard, but not as hard as expected, and at least we had made it! I looked down at my shoes on the black, silky-smooth sand as I stood on the beach, no longer seeming as bright as before, and out into the emerald, choppy, and hopefully warm water at the farthest thing that I could see in the distance: the point of Africa.

2 comments: