Saturday, September 13, 2014

The Islands at the End of the World

This week I read The Islands at the End of the World by Austin Aslan. This was one of the best books I've read all year. This book is about a almost 17 girl who lives in Hawaii, called Leilani, who's half white and half Hawaiian. Because of this she has trouble fitting in, and is bullied by the other Hawaiian girls at her school. Another problem is that she is an epileptic, which makes it even harder to make some friends. Leilani and her dad leave the island of Hawaii to go to Maui for an experimental treatment for epilepsy, which will hopefully let her do the things she love like surfing, other stuff, and just get rid of her epilepsy. Suddenly, a global disaster hits. Nobody really knows what is going on, so Leilani and her dad don't panic at first. Eventually, they realize that the situation is way out of hand. Supplies are running out, the president warns them of a global disaster that nobody can really catch what it is, and people start to panic. Leilani and her dad start on a journey to make their way home to their family, but are surprised at the danger they have to go through. While they are trying to get back, Leilani and her dad start to realize that they might hold the key to stopping this event before it gets even any worse.
This book was great. The characters were really well imagined, and I found out later in the book that I actually really did care about them. The plot was exciting, suspenseful, and well paced, and I really enjoyed it. I would recommend this to probably all the people in our class. There was a little bit of violence, and just people going through horrible things and condition, but honestly not really any, just enough to keep the book going. This book was amazing, and if you like adventure/survival books with a bit of science fiction/dystopian, a bit of realistic fiction, and some magic in otherwise very normal places, things, and people, this book would definitely be for you.
Next few books:
Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock
Bird
Eleanor and Park
A New Book:
Looking For Alaska

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really good book, thanks for the recommendation, I think I will read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good book. Do you think I would like it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sound so good! I am going to read it as soon as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read that book now. I will be sure to check it out!

    ReplyDelete