Sunday, October 6, 2013

Bitterblue

This week (or two weeks,  or whatever) I read Bitterblue, by Kristen Cashore. It is the second book of a series; the first one is called Graceling. Bitterblue is about a queen named (guess what) Bitterblue trying to help her kingdom recover after the awful tyranny of her father. Graceling is about the events leading up to this. It sounds kind of dark, and it is a little bit-numerous people commit suicide, animals and people are tortured, and the main character goes through a lot, but it's not really anything too bad for the people in our class. The overall darkness of the book kind of surprised me, because based on its theme it sounds like it shouldn't be that dark, but it kind of is. It is probably classifyed as fantasy; but it does fit in more than one category. It is really entertaining, even though it doesn't really have a clear point. I think that girls would probably like this book more than boys; it is told from the perspective of a girl, and just fits in with what I think most girls in our class would enjoy more than the boys would. I would also recommend reading Graceling before Bitterblue. The "companion book" or whatever they call it to Bitterblue is called Fire; in my opinion it's not as good, but if you like Bitterblue, you should probably try it. You can't just read Graceling and then read Fire, you have to read Bitterblue as well, but you can read Fire first, and then read Graceling and Bitterblue. Overall, I would recommend this book to people who are looking for an entertaining book to read on, well, a six and a half hour bus ride down to Taos, New Mexico.

8 comments:

  1. It sounds... Interesting. Do you think I would like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, no honestly. It was very "interesting" like JP said:)

      Delete
  2. Sounds interesting but not really a book I would read. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooo, sounds cool, and I haven't read a dark book in a while since I read the Book Theif (I think). I always appreciate those types of dark stories every now and then. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does sound good, but I'm thinking it's not the best fit for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this series, and even though Bitterblue was good, I thought that Graceling was the best. It's definitely a good idea to read all three.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this sound great have read a bunch of little bits of it during the ride I looked over your shoulder more then you noticed Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like a good book! I'll keep it in mind!

    ReplyDelete