Sunday, January 26, 2014

SOL

The buzz and the shaking comes first. My eyes flutter open, my head propped up against the headrest. The plane shakes, and I have that brief moment of panic thinking that it will crash that you always have when you wake up on an airplane, and then remember where we are. On a plane, headed to middle of nowhere, Dominican Republic. I pull out my iPod headphones, snagged in my ears, which apparently were playing music while I slept. Great. The plane shakes again. I unlock my iPod and see that it's playing If I Lose Myself by OneRepublic. How ironic, actually. The lead singer, Ryan Tedder, wrote that about a plane crash. Not that this plane is going to crash or anything. I pull my head off of my headrest, static popping against my hair, which is all over the place and has apparently, despite all of my efforts, become frizzy because of the humidity in the plane. I mean, it's a plane! Where do we even LIVE that's less humid than a plane?!? I peek out the darkened window at the night sky and notice that we must be descending already. The lights from the little city twinkle like stars. "air planes, and the Night Sky, and Shooting Stars", and start singing to myself. "I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now"... Wow,ok, seriously. Why does everything have a song today?
photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/claudio_ar/1454446652/">Claudio.Ar</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/">cc</a>

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I like the interplay between your writing and your experiences and songs. It really works well here to create such parallels. It seems so perfect for you somehow. I also really like your last line, it is a perfect conclusion to your SOL.

    ReplyDelete